Zucchini Spice Cake with Buttercream Frosting07 March, 2017
Don’t let the zucchini fool you–this recipe is definitely a splurge. But life is all about balance right? And sometimes you just need a slice of creamy, decadent cake.
My aunt made this recipe for my baby shower along with a platter of gluten-free white champagne cupcakes from Gluten-Free Palate. If you are going to indulge, these treats are worth it!
(Recipe adapted from the Cake Mix Doctor Cookbook.)
- 2 packages plain yellow cake mix
- 2 package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini (from 1 medium zucchini)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Place rack in center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously mist two 10-inch tube pans with vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour. Set pans aside.
- For Zucchini layer: Place 1 package of cake mix, 1 pudding mix, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, 4 eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves, and 1/4 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electronic mixer until batter is thick and smooth.
- Fold in the grated zucchini.
- For the yellow cake layer: Place 1 package of cake mix, 1 pudding mix, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, 4 eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves, and 1/4 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electronic mixer until batter is thick and smooth.
- Pour batter into pans, smoothing with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until cakes are light brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from pans.
- n medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
- Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.
- When cakes are fully cooled, cut both in half and layer with frosting in between. Finish by frosting cake sides and top.