Savory Oatmeal01 July, 2016
Eggs are a staple item in my kitchen. They are nutritious, offer 6 grams of protein a piece, create a warm, filling meal, and they are so versatile! There are a million egg recipes, one of my favorite being Savory Oatmeal.
Traditional oatmeal recipes call for sweet toppings–fruit, brown sugar, coconut, or honey. Savory Oatmeal takes the oatmeal game to a whole new level by adding a fried gooey egg, spinach, and Swiss cheese. Add some cracked paper and sea salt and you’re set!
- 1-2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Steel Cut Oatmeal (Or one packet of instant steel cut oatmeal)
- Handful of Fresh Spinach
- 1 Slice of Swiss Cheese
- Sriracha or Hot Sauce (Optional)
- Cook steel cut oatmeal according to package instructions.
- Fry 1-2 eggs in a frying pan. Be sure not to over cook them so they are still runny.
- On top of oats, put the slice of cheese and handful of Spinach.
- Layer egg(s) on top. The heat from the eggs and oatmeal will melt the cheese and wilt the spinach.
- If you want a little spice, drizzle a little of Sriracha or hot sauce.