Honey Vanilla Breakfast Bowl07 September, 2016
When it comes to “superfoods,” you can’t leave out quinoa (pronounced keen-wa). Quinoa is a gluten-free, ancient grain with a mild flavor and light crunch. More importantly, quinoa is a complete protein which means it provides all nine essential amino acids. There’s not many grains that can brag about providing quality protein along with energizing carbohydrates.
Pair this superfood grain with Greek yogurt, berries, chia seeds, and honey for a delicious, filling breakfast.
Nutrition Information (Per serving, Recipe makes 2 servings):
Calories 337; Total Fat 6g; Sat Fat 0g; Chol. 0mg; Sodium 82mg; Carb. 60g; Fiber 8g; Sugar 35g; Protein 15g
This recipe was inspired by a recipe posted by Alexandra Caspero, MA, RD, on the Food & Nutrition Stone Soup blog.
- 1/2 Cup of Vanilla Greek Yogurt (Siggi's is one of my favorite kinds!)
- 1/4 Cup of Quinoa
- 1/2 Cup of Milk (cow, almond, coconut, etc.)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon)
- 1 Cup of Berries
- 2 Tablespoons of Slivered Almonds
- 1 Teaspoon of Chia Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- Place quinoa, milk, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until quinoa is tender (about 12 minutes).
- Cool slightly and transfer into two bowls.
- Add yogurt, berries, almonds, chia seeds, and honey to each bowl.